Patrick W. Doll studied mechanical engineering at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) where he specialized in Biomedical Engineering (BioMEMS) and hydraulic fluid machines and aeroacoustics. He received his Diploma (Dipl.-Ing.) in June 2015 and did his PhD from August 2015 to July 2019 in the group of Prof. Dr. Guber at the Institute of Microstructure Technology (IMT). He received his PhD (Dr.-Ing.) with highest honors and was awarded third place in the 2020 young investigator award of the German Society for Biomedical Engineering (DGBMT). After a post-doc period in the group of Prof. Guber he worked at a dental implant manufacturer in the south of Germany were he was responsible for the surface optimization and implementation of different fabrication processes. Since January 2020, he has been studying business administration at Middlesex University London and since June 2020 he has been a member of the expert committee for biomaterials and medical implants within the German Society of Biomedical Engineering (DGBMT). From July 2021 he is with IMT again and peruses his work within two awarded government funding projects in the context of medical implantology and material development.
- Micro- and nanofabrication of silicon and titanium
- Novel biomaterials and medical alloys
- Cell/substrate interactions on a micro- and nanoscale
- Antibacterial nanostructures
Micro- and Nanofabrication
- Rotational Lithography
- Electron Beam Lithography
- Wet Etching, especially Hydrofluoric acid (HF)
- Deep Reactive Ion Etching (DRIE)
- Reactive Ion Beam Etching (RIBE)
- Various Oxidation Methods
Dr. Doll preparing silicon substrates for exposure with the Electron Beam Pattern Generator in the IMT cleanroom. (Photo: KIT).
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM)
- Vertical Scanning Interferometry (VSI)
- Element Analysis (EDS)
Scanning electron micrographs of examples of nano- and microfabrication. Left: nanopillar-array with pillar diameters of 100 nm and 500 nm in height fabricated by electron beam lithography and cryogenic reactive ion etching. Right: Micro-mold for PDMS imprinting fabricated by UV-lithography and cryogenic reactive ion etching.
Available Student Research Projects
- Doll, P. W.; Husari, A.; Ahrens, R.; Spindler, B.; Guber, A. E.; Steinberg, T. 2021. Enhancing the Soft-Tissue Integration of Dental Implant Abutments – In-Vitro Study to Reveal an Optimized Microgroove Surface Design to Maximize Spreading and Alignment of Human Gingival Fibroblasts. Journal of Biomedical Material Research – Part B: Applied Biomaterials. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials 1-9, DOI: 10.1002/jbm.b.34836. (Peer reviewed publication).
- Mamyrbayev, T.; Ikematsu, K.; Takano, H.; Wu, Y.; Kimura, K.; Doll, P.; Last, A.; Momose, A.; Meyer, P. 2021. Staircase array of inclined refractive multi-lenses for a large field of view pixel super-resolution scanning transmission hard X‑ray microscopy. Journal of Synchrotron Radiation. Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, 28 (3) 732-740. DOI: 10.1107/S1600577521001521. (Peer reviewed publication)
- Doll, P. W.; Ahrens, R.; Guber, A. E. 2021. Etch-less microfabrication of structured TiO2 implant coatings on bulk titanium grade 23 by direct lithographic anodic oxidation. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 31 (3) 035007. DOI: 10.1088/1361-6439/abdae6. (Peer reviewed publication).
- Doll, P. W.; Husari, A.; Ahrens, R.; Spindler, B.; Steinberg, T.; Al-Ahmad, A.; Guber, A. E. 2020. Hierarchically Micro- and Nanostructured Surfaces for Dental Implant. Biomedical Engineering – Biomedizinische Technik 65 (s1): S86-S90. DOI: 10.1515/bmt-2020-6018. (Conference Talk).
- Doll, P. W.; Doll, C.; Käßer, L.; Häfner, M.; Spindler, B.; Ahrens, R.; Nahles, S.; Heiland, M.; Guber, A. E. 2020. Rotational UV-Lithography Using Flexible Chromium Coated Polymer Masks for the Fabrication of Microstructured Dental Implant Surfaces: a Proof of Concept. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 30 (4) 045008. DOI:10.1088/1361-6439/ab70c0. (Peer reviewed publication).
- Doll, P. W. Hierarchische Mikro- und Nanostrukturierung von Zahnimplantaten und Abutments zur Verbesserung der Weichgewebeintegration. Invited Talk at the Annual Meeting from the German Association for Biomedical Technology (DGBMT) 2020 for receiving 3rd place of Foundation Family Klee to promote young researchers. (Invited Talk).
- Doll, P. W.; Al-Ahmad, A.; Bacher, A.; Muslija, A.; Thelen, R.; Hahn, L.; Ahrens, R.; Spindler, B.; Guber, A. E. 2019. Fabrication of silicon nanopillar arrays by electron beam lithography and reactive ion etching for advanced bacterial adhesion studies. Materials Research Express, 6 (6), 065402. DOI:10.1088/2053-1591/ab0a16 (Peer reviewed publication).
- Doll, P. W.; Wolf, M.; Guttmann, M.; Thelen, R.; Ahrens, R.; Spindler, B.; Guber, A. E.; Al-Ahmad, A. Initial Bacterial Adhesion Properties of Anodically Oxidized Ti6Al4V. 2019. 41st Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC). DOI:10.1109/EMBC.2019.8857956. (Peer reviewed conference paper and Oral talk).
- Doll, P. W. Hierarchische Mikro- und Nanostrukturierung von Zahnimplantaten und Abutments zur Verbesserung der Weichgewebeintegration. Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT). Karlsruhe, Germany. (Dissertation; Day of oral examination: 03.07.2019).
- Doll, P. W.; Reisig, G.; Hengsbach S.; Schneider-Wald, B.; Finkbeiner, T.; Ahrens, R.; Guber, A. E. and Schwarz, M. 2019. 3D printed nano-scaffolds for in-situ cartilage regeneration for the treatment of cartilage defects: Investigation of cell recruitment within a bioreactor. HEIKA-Day 2019, Heidelberg University. (Oral talk)
- Doll, P. W.; Al-Ahmad, A.; Bacher, A.; Muslija, A.; Thelen, R.; Hahn, L.; Ahrens, R.; Spindler, B.; Guber, A. E. 2019. Bacterial Adhesion to Nanopillar Arrays. 7th Thesinge Biofilm Meeting, University of Groningen, Netherlands. (Oral talk).
- Doll, P. W.; Semperowitsch, C.; Häfner, M.; Ahrens, R.; Spindler, B.; Guber, A. E. 2018. Fabrication of Micro Structured Dental Implant Abutments for Optimized Soft Tissue Integration. Current directions in biomedical engineering, 4 (1), 677-680. DOI:10.1515/cdbme-2018-0163 . (Conference paper and poster presentation).
- Doll, P. W.; Wolf, M.; Weichert, M.; Ahrens, R.; Guber, A. E.; Spindler, B. 2018. Nanosctructuring of Titanium by Anodic Oxidation with Sulfuric and Hydrofluoric Acid. Current directions in biomedical engineering, 4 (1), 641-644. DOI:10.1515/cdbme-2018-0154. (Conference paper and poster presentation).
- Doll, P. W.; Rajabi, T.; Ahrens, R.; Spindler, B.; Guber, A. Manufacturing of microstructured Abutments for the Optimization of Dental Implant Systems. 2017, MST Congress, München. (Conference paper and poster presentation).
- Doll, P. W.; Spindler, B. Ahrens, R. Guber, A. E. (Karlsruher Institut für Technologie), Nanostruktur und deren Erzeugung. DE 10 2019 004 557.7. Anmeldetag: 3.7.2019.
- Doll, P. W.; Käßer, L.; Ahrens, R.; Guber, A. E. (Karlsruher Institut für Technologie). Mikrostrukturierung von gebogenen Flächen durch UV-Lithographie. DE 10 2017 121 097 A1. Anmeldetag: 12.09.2017.